1. When you receive him, receive him. He’s heavier
than he looks and eager to meet you.
2. Wash him twice. Don’t be surprised
by his forgiving body.
3. The softest part of his body is the belly. His hands,
neck, and feet are calloused and won’t break.
4. His blood runs slowly. Make time
for yourself and take breaks.
5. Don’t bother with staples or glue. His eyes
have earned their rest.
6. Sew his mouth shut. He’s lived
by wire and knows how to tease it out.
7. He often smiled even where there was little
joy. Can you use that?
8. All of this will be more than you’re paid for,
I can’t do anything about that.
9. Let me see him first. I need to be sure.
10. If you need more time,
I’ll wait as long as he needs.